Traffic is one of the most important things every blogger will need. Even though conversion is very important when it comes to getting results there won’t be any conversion without traffic. Stumbleupon traffic isn’t really the best traffic for a blogger due to the low conversion it results in and the 2 seconds the resulting visitors spend on a site. However, getting traffic from Stumbleupon has its own importance and before I continue I’ll be giving you one or two major advantages of getting traffic from stumbleupon.
1. Social Proof: A major advantage of getting traffic from stumbleupon is that it is a great means of social proof. Some of us display our income reports, some of us partake in activities requiring us to submit the number of visitors we get and whether we like it or not, irrespective of the source of our traffic, having a huge traffic number makes an impression on our readers. Your readers will believe you know what you’re saying if every single post you write goes viral on Stumbleupon. If you’re also a blogger whose income depends on displaying ads on your blog advertisers will be interested in having your traffic numbers, and very few of them are concerned about the traffic source (as long as it is ethical and you’re doing nothing to inflate it) so that boost in traffic from stumbleupon can make a great difference in how much money you will earn in one month.
2. Source of Encouragement: Another importance of getting traffic from Stumbleupon is that it is a source of encouragement, and believe me, great or not, not every one of your posts will go viral on stumbleupon so anytime one does you will be very happy because you believe it is great. I have written a lot of great posts on this blog but only my best posts go viral on stumbleupon. Also, if you’re a blogger getting around 100 visitors to your blog everyday you will be so happy to get over 1000 visitors to your blog in one day as a result of a great post you wrote, even if that traffic is from stumbleupon. And the more encouragement you get, the more quality posts you will write and the more quality traffic and exposure you will get as time goes on.
3. Improvement in Rankings: Another great thing about social media traffic is that it can help you improve your rankings very fast. Even though traffic from Digg or Stumbleupon might be relatively low when it comes to conversion it is very important that you realize that Google is now determining how to rank websites based on these sites. If your article could make it to the Stumbleupon homepage or to the first page of your post category you will experience a significant boost in your ranks.
4. More Backlinks: Another important thing about having a post go viral on social media is that they result in a lot of backlinks. While stumbleupon might not be that strong compared to Digg or Delicious when it comes to backlinks it is really important that you know that every small piece helps. Having a highly successful article on Stumbleupon can result in a few backlinks that will eventually result in more quality traffic and overall improvement in your search engine rankings.
5. A Means of Testing Your Server: I recently upgraded my server to dedicated server but I don’t know the full capacity yet because I haven’t gotten enough traffic to “shake it”. A lot of web hosting companies make claims that cannot be validated to their users about how great and reliable their service is only for a solid influx of traffic to bring the server down. Getting a lot of stumbleupon traffic can help you know how solid and reliable your server is so that you can make amends or upgrade to a better server before you get a traffic influx from a reliable source. I’ve seen people who getting only 700 visitors a day brought their server down, and the traffic was from great sources like twitter or a big blog in their niche, they would have avoided this had they gotten much traffic from a less reliable source to really know their server capability.